Antoine Griezmann starred as Atletico Madrid returned to successful methods in LaLiga with a 3-0 victory over Actual Valladolid.
Three targets in 10 first-half minutes on the Civitas Metropolitano put Diego Simeone’s aspect in management en path to their first league victory of 2023.
Griezmann’s stellar help arrange Alvaro Morata’s opener, with the France worldwide then including his personal title to the scoresheet with a cheeky end.
It was additionally Griezmann’s supply that led to Mario Hermoso firing residence on the rebound as Los Colchoneros set down a marker within the fierce battle for a top-four end.
3 – @atletienglish have scored 3 targets within the first half-hour of a single @LaLigaEn recreation for the primary time since April 2017 v Las Palmas, and for the third time v Valladolid after September 1980 & October 1994, greater than in opposition to every other workforce within the competitors. Occasion. pic.twitter.com/9REWKqwHdr
— OptaJose (@OptaJose) January 21, 2023
Morata began brightly and opened the scoring within the 18th minute, deceiving a defender with a feint and slotting previous Jordi Masip after Griezmann’s outrageous backheel.
The hosts doubled their benefit 5 minutes later as Griezmann flicked Nahuel Molina’s pushed cross past Masip on the close to publish.
Hermoso quickly added a 3rd, blasting in from shut vary after his preliminary header from Griezmann’s free-kick was parried by the goalkeeper.
Pondering forward to the midweek Copa del Rey conflict with Actual Madrid, Diego Simeone shuffled his deck earlier than the hour, and the introduction of Barcelona-linked Yannick Carrasco drew jeers from sections of the group.
However Atletico continued to threaten, Koke hitting the crossbar and Angel Correa seeing a low drive strike each posts.
Memphis Depay, making his debut after becoming a member of from Barca, was launched for a 15-minute cameo as Atletico in the end coasted to a simple victory that places them three factors away from the chasing pack.
What does it imply? Atletico stay on monitor
After starting 2023 with a defeat to Barcelona and a draw at Almeria in LaLiga, three factors for Atletico in opposition to Valladolid was obligatory with an actual scrap growing for fourth spot.
Enjoying earlier than their top-four rivals Villarreal, Actual Betis and Osasuna, Atletico couldn’t afford to drop additional factors having entered the sport simply three above tenth-placed Actual Mallorca.
Whereas extending that margin to 6 provides Atletico slightly extra safety, it additionally retains them within the driving seat except Villarreal batter Girona on Sunday.
Griez is the phrase
Valladolid will certainly be sick of the sight of Griezmann, with that first-half aim his ninth in 10 LaLiga appearances in opposition to Pucela.
Griezmann’s aim got here together with his solely contact contained in the opposition field, whereas his three probabilities created was the joint-most within the recreation alongside Correa.
Defeat for Valladolid was their fifth successive LaLiga loss with out scoring, the primary time of their historical past they’ve endured such a dropping streak and failed to attain in every recreation.
The look ahead to a aim on the street continues, with their final being in opposition to Getafe on October 1.
Key Opta information
– Alvaro Morata scored his fiftieth aim in LaLiga; 25 in 67 appearances for Atletico Madrid, and 25 from 63 video games for Actual Madrid.
– Antoine Griezmann scored and delivered an help in a single LaLiga recreation for the primary time since November 2021 in opposition to Cadiz (additionally one aim and one help).
– Antoine Griezmann has tallied a aim and an help in a single recreation 12 occasions with Atletico Madrid, greater than every other participant for the membership within the twenty first century (Sergio Aguero had 11, and Diego Forlan had 10).
– That is the primary time Atletico Madrid have scored three targets within the first half-hour of a LaLiga recreation since April 2017, after they beat Las Palmas 5-0.
– Memphis Depay is the primary Dutch participant to make an look in LaLiga for Atletico Madrid since John Heitinga in August 2009. The striker is the fourth Dutchman to characterize the membership within the competitors after Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Kiki Musampa and Heitinga (all performed 34 occasions).
Atletico make the quick journey throughout the capital to face rivals Actual Madrid of their Copa del Rey quarter-final on Thursday.